- Cup of tea. Find a moment and place 'to get away' and enjoy the benefits of a cup of tea. Try Chamomile, lemon balm, ginger or lavender infused tea for relaxation. Mint or lemon for rejuvenation.
- Chocolate. Research supports chocolate does improve our mood and sense of wellbeing. Chocolate increases neurotransmitters that influence our wellbeing and contains flavonoids, antioxidants important for cellular health. Be sure to choose high quality (>70% cacao) and remember moderation is key.
- Aromatherapy takes advantage of the healing power of scent. Essential oils such as lavender, orange and lemon balm can help us relax while eucalyptus, rosemary and lemon can be invigorating. Try a simple infusion or a scented eye cover.
- Music is an important part of our emotional experience. Do not let the news or TV take the place of music to relax and rejuvenate. Better yet combine music with aromatherapy or a cup of tea to double you pleasure.
- Find marvel in the world around you whether it is really 'seeing' the sunset, dew on the morning grass or flower emerging from the ground.
Do you have a placed to call your own? Even a simple corner of a room adorned with your favorite things, plants or nature inspired or sentimental items will do.
Author: Monique Giroux, MD
Copyright 2011 Northwest Parkinson's Foundation Wellness Center