DBS- Questions for your Doctor
Here are questions to ask your neurologist about DBS:
- What do you think will improve for me after surgery?
- What will not improve with DBS surgery?
- Who will program or determine the stimulation settings for me? What is their training? (It requires a skilled licensed medical professional to program the DBS neurotransmitter)
- How many visits or months will be needed to optimize my programming?
- How many other patients are you seeing that has one of these devices and how have they improved with DBS?
Here are several questions to ask a surgeon about DBS:
- Is DBS the focus of your practice?
- What is your training for DBS surgery?
- How many people have you implanted?
- Who should I call if I have a problem after I leave the hospital?
- What is your experience with complications from the surgery?
Learn more about DBS
Author: Sierra Farris, PA-C
DBS Services Director, Movement & Neuroperformance Center of Colorado
Copyright 2011 Northwest Parkinson's Foundation Wellness Center